Saturday, September 22, 2012

Contour Drawing


Continuous-Line Drawing


The continuous-line drawing was fun.  I used a conté crayon and drew one unbroken line.  At first it was challenging to be transparent, drawing through the spoons and spatulas.  But after practicing on the newsprint a few times, I found it a bit freeing!

Contour-Line Drawing


The end result of my contour-line drawing looks really simple.  However, I found it challenging to not look at the paper and keep my eyes focused on the cup.  I drew this cup several times on the newsprint.  The first few drawings barely even looked like a cup!  I will definitely practice this exercise to get better at keeping my eyes on the subject.  Eyes and hands are one, eyes and hands are one...  I used a 2B pencil for this drawing.

Organizational-Line Drawing


The organizational-line drawing was the most fun for me out of the three. I used pencils, 2H, 2B, and HB.   I started with the window in the background using the lightest pencil and went off one side of the page.  Then I used the darker pencils for the lamp, flower, and clock.  The clock is the darkest as it is the most upfront object.  I played with the shadowing too; mostly on the lamp base and vase and flower showing where the light was coming from.  I’m not sure I did the “sighting” right.  I closed one eye and held a pencil at arm’s length but am not sure if I measured the height and width correctly.  I guess this takes practice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment